17 June, 2006

National Library of Singapore ... a mockery ?

Backstory.
1.National library of Singapore equip with RFID Technology
3.Fri , borrowed a DVD galaxy Quest and music CD library@esplande
2. Sunday , i return a music cd ( beethovan sonata ) i have borrowed to the Jurong West library.
3. notice that the "item returned " light didn't light up when putting item into the book drop.
4. Check online acct before leaving library , item has been cleared manually and has been returned.

The Problem
5. Noticed that i insert the wrong CD into the envelope slot ( tenjo tenge vcd) when i reached home and still has the original music cd.
6. went to the jurong west library the next day (monday) and inform the staff abt the wrong cd , returned original music cd to the library.
7. The librarian assured me that she will checked the items since it was returned only last night.
8. Item not found . /cheers! Yay
9. i insist she look for the item again so she ask me to come back later as she has to unpacked the items which are supposed to send back to esplande library.
10. i wasted some time reading mags and having late lunch , few hours later , /cheers item not found again.
11. she inform me that she will email the staff at the esplanade library (with details of said item ) as it may been send by another early batch. and will block this item from been borrowed by other users. will contact call me if item found. by wed should have reached the destination library.

The Aftermath
12. Sat (today) Call library helpdesk , described my situation and quote my acct number and such ... guess what? they have no idea /cheers ! ask me a lot of details which happen a week ago (blury) ... details which i supplied with clarity (on Mon) when i return the original CD .
13. They patch me up to the librarian at the jurong west library and she said she was aware of my situation , ask for my acct number and name of the music cd (again !) and will call me later after checking with the esplande staff .... 4 hrs later no reply /yay!
14. decide to pop by esplande library , since i was meeting a friend nearby for dinner ,
guess what ? librarian there has no idea what happen /cheers ! ask for my acct number , did some check . said there's no record of my complaints /YAY
15. she keep asking me for details , i told her about the e-mail which should have been sended from the JW staff (on monday) has all the details she needed . she did some checking and said the item is in transit (ie moving from one library to another) and won't tell me anymore info .


My Comments.
1. on Mon , i basically told the JW staff that it's rubbish that u can't find something which is it returned to ur library yesterday nite but she decide to past the bucket to the esplande staff since it will end up there eventually

2. on sat (today) , i basically told the JW staff that it's rubbish that needs 1 whole week to travel from 1 library to another , when u dun need more than 2hrs to travel from 1 end of singapore to the other (changi to jurong) but the esplande staff obviously consider the matter closed as the item is "in-transit" /cheers maybe in transit for a year and still in transit ..it's ok for them.

Frankly i dun think i'll ever see my tenjo tenge vcd again. but the problem is it's a rental vcd from a box-set , so i'm paying heavy fine everyday when NLB unable to find my vcd . it's my fault yes.

but i report it the next day and there shouldn't be any reason for them to "lose" / "unable to find " something that was returned the day before and was not released to be borrowed by other users in the shelves at all.

Indices : Strawberry Panic , Simoun

No comments: